Sunday 8 July 2012

350Z soft-top conversion

Back in March when I bought my 350Z Roadster, I blogged about buying a 350Z Coupe slot car.  Several manufacturers make the Coupe model but nobody sells the Roadster version.  So I had to make my own.

I bought a 350Z Coupe in silver made by Autoart, and converted it to match my real car.


The first step was to take the Coupe apart:


And then get the Dremel out at remove the roof and back pillars:


Then I superglued in a piece of plasticard to form a new base for the bodywork:


Using Milliput I shaped the rear of the car and the wind-deflector pods behind the seats:


Undercoated the Milliput in grey:


And then painted the whole car in blue and varnished it.  Finishing touches were glueing the windscreen back into place, painting the tan seats black, and using black wire to form the roll hoops behind the headrests:


It's not a perfect finish but it's not bad, and as far as I know, it's the only 1:32 350Z Roadster slot car in the world!  Unusually, Autoart sell this car without a driver, which looks fine on display but ridiculous when it's on the track, so I need to get a driver to properly finish it off.

EDIT: 27 July 2012 - Now with a driver...


No comments:

Post a Comment